What is the influence of multiple cross country ski races on respiratory function and symptoms in young and old cross country ski competitors?
We are looking for cross country skiers (male or female) between 14 and 35 years of age. To be eligible, you must:
- have been training for cross country skiing/and or biathlon this year
- have 3 years or more of competitive cross country ski racing experience
- be eligible to compete in all the 2020 Cross Country Ski Championships being held in Sovereign Lakes March 24 – 31 2020
If you choose to participate, you will be asked to:
- Complete some questionnaires about your cough, respiratory symptoms, background training history and allergy as well as a physical activity screening questionnaire
- On days 1—8 of the championships complete an airway inflammation test (blow lightly through a hand held device for 5 seconds) and a resting spirometry (where we ask you to blow hard/all out through a hand held device a few times) to understand you resting lung function. This will occur upon arrival at the race site and will be done in a heated trailer so you can relax. On race days we will ask that you complete the same spirometry and airway inflammation measures within 15 minutes after your race. On training days we will ask that you complete post training spirometry and airway inflammation tests as well. The amount of time to complete any assessment bout will be no more than 5 minutes.
- On days 2-8 we will also ask you to complete a short respiratory symptoms questionnaire that includes all those common symptoms we share as cross country skiers.
Benefits to you: You will receive a complete understanding of how your lungs respond to racing and how much airway inflammation you have. These are important health related measures which can assist you in understanding if you need to seek additional medical advice for your lung health. In addition, we will be able to tell which type of races are harder on your lungs – sprints, distance, classic or freestyle.
Initial assessments will begin in March 23/24 until the last day rest day of the championships March 31.
I would be so excited if you agreed to participate. If you have any questions please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org . This study has been approved by the University of Alberta Human Research Ethics Board (Study ID Pro00096524).